Constitution of the “Birstall Woodturning Club” also known as
“The Woodturning Club”
Adopted on the 21st May 2022
A. Name and present Address
"The Birstall Woodturning Club" ("The Club") Unit 46 Holme Bank Mills, Station Road, Mirfield WF14 8NA
Subject to the matters set out below the Club and its property shall be administered and managed in accordance with this constitution by the members of the Committee, constituted pursuant to clause G of this constitution ("the Committee")
The objectives of the Club ("the objects") are to provide a safe facility to further the education, training and leisure activity of people irrespective of race, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, ability, disability, state of health, religious beliefs, social or economic circumstances in any and all aspects of woodturning and applied arts, traditional and contemporary. Providing they do not demonstrate a risk to themselves or others.
(1) To provide the opportunity for woodturners and authorized guests to meet socially, and to provide a forum to exchange views amongst Woodturners and to encourage communication.
(2) To arrange meetings, exhibitions, and competitions to encourage all to produce a high quality of woodcrafts and applied arts.
(3) To act as a body representative of the interests of turners in the area.
E. Powers. In furtherance of the objects, but not otherwise, the Committee may exercise the following powers:
(1) Power to raise funds and to invite and receive contributions provided that in raising funds the Committee shall not undertake any substantial permanent trading activities and shall conform to any relevant requirements of the law.
(2) Power to buy; take on lease or in exchange any property necessary for the achievement of the objects and to maintain and equip it for use.
(3) Power subject to any consents required by law to sell, lease or dispose of all or any part of the property of the Club.
(4) Power subject to any consents required by law to borrow money and to charge all or any part of the property of the Club with repayment of the money so borrowed.
(5) Power to employ such staff (who shall not be members of the Committee) as are necessary for the proper pursuit of the objects and to make all reasonable and necessary provision for the payment of agreed remuneration and benefits;
(6) Power to co-operate with other charities, voluntary bodies and statutory authorities operating in furtherance of the objects or of similar charitable purposes and to exchange information and advice with them;
(7) Power to establish or support any charitable trusts, associations or institutions formed for all or any of the objects;
(8) Power to appoint and constitute such advisory committees as the Committee may think fit;
(9) Power to do all such other lawful things necessary for the achievement of the objects.
(1) Membership to the Club shall be open to:
Junior Members (up to the age of sixteen) They must be accompanied by a safeguarding companion at all times when on Club property and whilst they can attend general meetings they do not have voting rights except to determine who they choose to represent their interest. Membership is subject to an annual subscription and session fees as set by the committee from time to time.
Student Members must be 16 years and over and be receiving full time education , they can attend general meetings but do not have voting rights except to determine who they choose to represent their interest. Membership is subject to an annual subscription and session fees as set by the committee from time to time.
Adult Members are Individuals (over the age of 18 years) who are interested in furthering the work of the Club and its objectives. They shall be entitled to one vote on any issue having paid any annual subscription laid down from time to time by the Committee.
(2) Before being admitted into membership, All newcoming members must undertake an induction course and sign a declaration on completion that they have done, so demonstrating that they have knowledge of the Club’s Health & Safety Policy; Fire Precautions; Safeguarding Policies, Environmental Health and Personal Safety issues.
(3) Every Adult member shall have one vote. This may be cast in person either into a ballot box provided for the purpose, electronically. by post or by show of hands as appropriate.
n.b. electronic or postal votes must be received by the Secretary a minimum of 24 hours before the count takes place. Only official forms will be accepted and must include the membership number and postal code of the member. Spoilt papers and those not conforming to the above requirement will not be included or counted.
(4) The Committee may terminate the membership of any individual. Subject to the following conditions
a) A letter is sent to the individual outlining the reason for the proposed action and offering a hearing. Until that request is received and acted upon membership will be suspended
b). The individual concerned shall have the right to be heard by a Committee sub group of 5 members lead by the Chairman . c). If such a meeting is requested the individual can be accompanied by a friend.
d). the committee sub group shall make its action recommendation to the Committee before a final decision is made and a decision letter sent to the individual .
G Officers and Committee Members of the Club
1. These shall be elected from the membership of the Club at each Annual General Meeting and shall take up their appointment at the conclusion of that meeting.
a). Officers chairman, vice chairman, secretary, treasurer, membership secretary and an events secretary.
b). Committee ( Including the officers) the Committee shall consist of not less than 8 nor more than 13 members.
2. The Committee may in addition appoint not more than 3 co-opted members unless such appointment would result in co-opted members representing more than a third of the elected committee members. Each appointment of a co-opted member shall be made at a meeting of the Committee called for that purpose and shall take effect from the end of that meeting unless the appointment is to fill a place which has not then been vacated in which case the appointment shall run from the date when the post becomes vacant.
3. All members of the Committee shall retire from office together at the end of the annual general meeting next after the date on which they came into office, but they may be re-elected or re-appointed
4. The proceedings of the Committee shall not be invalidated by any vacancy among their members or by any failure to appoint or any defect in the appointment or qualification of a member.
5. Nobody shall be appointed as a member of the Committee who is aged under 18 or who would if appointed be disqualified under the provisions of the following clause.
6. No person shall be entitled to act as a member of the Committee whether on a first or on a subsequent entry into office until after signing the register declaring acceptance and willingness to act in the best interest of the Club .and the furtherance of its objects.
H. Determination of membership of Committee.
A member of the Committee shall cease to hold office if he or she:
1, is disqualified from acting as a member of the Committee by virtue of any statutory provision.
2. becomes incapable by reason of mental disorder, illness or Injury of the management and administrating his or her own affairs.
3. is absent without the permission of the Committee from three consecutive meetings of the Committee held within a period of twelve months and the Committee resolve that his or her office be vacated; or
4. notifies to the Committee a wish to resign (but only if at least three members of the Committee will remain in office when the notice of resignation is to take effect).
I. Committee Members not to be personally interested.
Subject to the provisions of sub-clause (2) of this clause no member of the Committee shall acquire any interest in property belonging to the Club or receive remuneration or be interested (otherwise than as a member of the Committee) in any contract entered into by the Committee.
J Meetings and proceedings of the Committee
1. The Committee shall hold at least three meetings each year. A meeting may be called at any time by the secretary or by any two members of the Committee upon not less than 7 days' notice being given to the other members of the Committee of the matters to be discussed.
2. The chairman shall act as chairman at meetings of the Committee. If the chairman is absent from any meeting, then the vice-chairman shall act as the chairman for the meeting. If the vice-chairman is absent then the members of the Committee present shall choose one of their number to be chairman of the meeting by a simple show of hands before any business is transacted.
3. There shall be a quorum when at least one third of the number members of the Committee for the time being or three members of the Committee, whichever is the greater, are present at a meeting.
4. Every matter to be determined by the committee shall be determined by a majority of votes of the members of the Committee present and voting on the question but in the case of equality of votes the chairman of the meeting shall have a second or casting vote.
5. The Committee shall maintain, review annually and update Health & Safety Policy; Safeguarding Policies and Fire Risk Assessments and Environmental Health Issues & post updates on the members notice board.
6. The Committee shall keep minutes, in books kept for that purpose, of proceedings at meetings of the Committee and any sub-committee.
7. The Committee may from time to time make or alter rules for the conduct of their business, the summoning and conduct of their meetings and the custody of documents. No rule will be made which is inconsistent with this constitution.
8. The Committee may appoint one or more sub-committees consisting of three or more members of the Committee for the purpose of making any inquiry or supervising or performing any function or duty which in the opinion of the Committee would be more conveniently undertaken or carried out by a sub-committee; provided that all acts and proceedings of any such sub-committees shall be fully and promptly reported to the Committee.
K. Receipts and expenditure.
(1) The funds of the Club, including all donations, contributions and bequests, shall be paid into an account operated by the Committee in the name of the Club at such bank as the Committee shall from time to time decide. All cheques drawn on the account must be signed by at least one members of the Committee.
(2) In the event of the club’s financial transactions being conducted electronically, appropriate safeguarding procedures should be put in place in order that no member can act in isolation. In order to meet banking rules the other signatory for cheques will also have the facility to carry out electronic transactions.
(3) The funds belonging to the Club shall be applied only in furthering the objects.
(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-clause (2) of this clause, the Committee shall cause the title to all land held by or in trust for the Club and all investments held by or on behalf of the Club to be vested either in a corporation entitled to act as custodian trustee or in not less than three individuals appointed by them as holding trustees. Holding trustees may be removed by the Committee at their pleasure and shall act in accordance with the lawful directions of the Committee. Provided that they act only in accordance with the lawful directions of the Committee, the holding trustees shall not be liable for the acts and defaults of its members.
(2) If a corporation entitled to act as custodian trustees has not been appointed to hold property for the Club, the Committee may permit any investments held by or in trust for the Club to be held in the name of a clearing bank, trust corporation or any stockbroking company which is a member of the international Stock Exchange (or any subsidiary of any such stockbroking company) as nominee for the Committee, and may pay such a nominee reasonable and proper remuneration for acting as such.
The Committee shall comply with any applicable statutory obligations with regard to:
1. The keeping of accounting records for the Club;
2. The preparation of annual statements of account for the Club;
3. The auditing or independent examination of the statements of account of the Club.
N. Annual General Meeting.
1. There shall be an annual general meeting of the Club which shall be held in the month of July in each year or as soon as practicable thereafter.
2. Every annual general meeting shall be called by the Committee. The secretary shall give at least 21 days' notice of the annual general meeting to all the members of the Club. All the members of the Club shall be entitled to attend and (except Junior Members) vote at the meeting.
3. Before any other business is transacted at the annual general meeting, the persons present shall appoint a chairman of the meeting who shall be the chairman of the Club for the time being if he of she is present but if he or she is not present, the persons present shall appoint a chairman of the meeting from one of their number.
4. The Committee shall present to each annual general meeting the report and accounts of the Club for the previous year.
5. Nominations for election to the Committee must be made by members of the Club in writing and must be in the hands of the Secretary at least 14 days before the annual general meeting. Should nominations exceed vacancies, election shall be by ballot. If the Secretary receives insufficient nominations, nominations for the Committee may be proposed and seconded, by members of the Club at the Annual General Meeting.
6. Members may wish to propose that certain individuals be elected as Honorary Members. Any nominations must be proposed and seconded and together with The reasons for the nomination be forwarded to the Secretary at least 14 days before the annual general meeting.
O. Special General Meetings.
The Committee may call a special meeting of the Club at any time. If at least ten members request such a meeting in writing stating the business to be considered the Secretary shall call such a meeting. At least 21 days' notice must be given. The notice must state the business to be discussed.
P. Procedure at General Meetings.
1. The secretary or other person specially appointed by the Committee shall keep a full record of proceedings at every general meeting of the Club.
2. There shall be a quorum when at least one tenth of the number of members of the Club for the time being or ten members of the Club, whichever is the greater, present at any general meeting.
Any notice required to be served on any member of the Club shall be in writing or by e-mail and shall be served by the secretary or the Committee on any member either personally or by sending through the post in a prepaid letter addressed to such member at his or her last known address in the United Kingdom, and any letter so sent shall be deemed to have been received within 5 days of posting.
R Alterations to the Constitution.
subject to the following provisions of this clause the Constitution may be altered by a resolution passed by not less than two thirds of the members present and voting at a general meeting. The notice of the general meeting must include notice of the resolution, setting out the terms of the alteration proposed.
If the Committee decides that it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Club it shall call a meeting of all members of the Club, of which not less than 21 days' notice (stating the terms of the resolution to be proposed) shall be given. If the proposal is confirmed by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting the Committee shall have power to realize any assets held by or on behalf of the Club. Any assets remaining after the satisfaction of any proper debts and liabilities shall be given or transferred to such other institution or institutions having objects similar to the objects of the Club as the members of the Club may determine or failing that shall be applied for some other charitable purpose.
This constitution was adopted on the date mentioned above by the Club in General meeting.
Club Chairman Pauline Etherington
Dated: May 2022